Monday, February 18, 2013

Kindness Week Day 4/ Clayton and Mama Day!

As is customary in our lives lately, things did not go according to plan last week. Thursday morning the boys decided to wake up at 2 in the morning and wouldn't go back to sleep. Considering I myself didn't get to bed until just after midnight myself. This made for a very sluggish mama for the rest of the day. On Friday, "A" wasn't able to come help us that day, so we were on our own, and I am just not that brave to take the boys out on adventures by myself yet.

So, little bit late but better late than never right? I decided why not make it even more special today and make it a Clayton and Mama day along with a day of kindness. So off we went to visit the Foster Care Resource Network in Tacoma (FCRN FB Page). As you can imagine, their cause is one that is dear to my heart. At one time we were those brand new foster parents who had nothing. The night the boys arrived we had one crib and a dresser. We had no toys, clothes or anything else required to raise babies. We were not sure prior to being placed, what age or gender of child we may welcome into our home, so it was almost impossible to prepare. This places assists parents just like us!


                                                       Clayton the very willing helper:


As a special treat, I took Clayton to McDonald's.  Upon pulling into the parking lot, I thought the poor kid was going to have an aneurysm.  He loves McDonald's, but since we got the ADHD diagnosis we made drastic changes to his diet and removing his beloved chicken nuggets was was of the changes made.  He must have really wanted it because instead of running off to play right away, he actually sat down and dug into his food.


Then it was time to play.  The place was pretty vacant today so Clayton requested that I join him.  So I grabbed my camera and followed him into the play land.  Actually, I more of squeezed my way into the play land, those openings are tiny!  He was such a gentleman, he offered his hand to help me up each level and waited until I was right behind him until he continued on to the next section. 


It was great to be able to have some one on one time with him.  To be able to sit and talk with him while he ate and really be able to listen to his answers, rather than being torn between two toddlers competing for my attention.  I watched him as he navigated through the play land and he was so excited to show me where each area went to.  A couple times we just stopped and hung out in whatever tube we found ourselves in.



Then it was time for mama to get out, other kids came to play and I am sure an adult in their play land would not be a welcome find.  So down the slide we went.  Mama first, so he could help give me a push to send me on my way.


That was our day.  Not to diminish what people with only one child go through, but man, this trip was easy and so much fun.  I could do a lot more days like this with only one child in tow!  I know Clayton may be too young to remember this day, but it will be etched in my memory.







No comments:

Post a Comment